Wednesday, October 1, 2014

October 1, 2014, Photo Of The Day

When I write a post I like to be as accurate as possible. Especially when writing about something historical. I am working on a full post (not Photo Of The Day) that involves some local history. I am having a problem however. There is not a lot of information online for me to read up on and confirm what I already believe to be true. What I do know I learned over 35 years ago in elementary school. I may have forgotten some details in that time. So I am going to have to take a trip to our local library. Hopefully I will get a chance to do this sooner than later. Until I do though I would like to share one photo with you. And here it is.


This is a spring house which, to the best of my recollection, was used by the Henderson family. Spring houses were common in the days before refrigeration. Built over springs, they kept a consistent low temperature to help preserve perishables. There are a lot of buildings in this area that once belonged to the Henderson's and even a family cemetery. In fact they have a road named after them. I don't want to get too far into their history at this time though because I would rather do my research and present accurate data. I really just wanted to show this to you. It is one of those things that people drive by everyday and don't give a second thought. A side effect of our busy lives.

I would also like to share a short 30 second video with you. I photographed this early on Sunday morning and there were very few cars or other noisy distractions. I thought a video would remind us of what this place may have looked and sounded a couple of hundred years ago when the spring house was still being used. It is actually rather peaceful.

 
 
Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment