Friday, September 5, 2014

September 5, 2014 - Photo Of The Day

Okay, I hope this is not cheating. Today's Photo is very much like yesterday's. In fact it is the same picture. Except it's in color. 

When I shoot a photo I set my camera to save the image in "raw' format. Basically it saves everything the camera sees and leaves the touch up to me during  post processing using an image editor. In this case Photoshop. 

Now I know many people hear "Photoshop" and think that it is sort of cheating.  That's not the way I see it however. I use Photoshop to adjust tones and color saturation. To adjust highlights and brightness. Sometimes to apply a color "filter". These are all things that serious photographers have always done in the darkroom. Expect now the darkroom is a computer.

So when I shot the photo that I shared yesterday I had my camera set for black and white but since I saved the resulting image as a raw file as opposed to a jpeg all of the data that the camera saw was saved. This is why I was able to go back and e-edit in color. The color data was saved.

Anyhow, enough of my rambling about how cameras save data. Here is today's photo.

Please Click For Full Size Image

Which do you like better? Yesterday's black and white or today's color? Remember there is no wrong answer. Just personal preference.

Thanks for looking and I hope you come back soon.

Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. Although I enjoy black and white photos, I actually think the color works better with this one. In the b & w the rock blends in with the table and it's hard to see where one ends and the other begins. However, that may have been what you were going for. Like you say, it's all subjective. Isn't that what art really is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Kathy! Though a photographer/artist may be trying to present their work in one perspective, the viewer may see it in a different way. And that is good. Wouldn't life be boring otherwise? And feedback is also a very good thing. Through your feedback on the black and white image I now have an idea on how to present it in a different way.

      Delete