Sunday, September 21, 2014

Hidden In Plain Site

Have you ever heard the saying "Sometimes the best place to hide something is in plain site"? Well sometimes it's true!

In the town that I live and grew up in there is a cemetery that though it is sort of in plain site, it is not well known about. It's one of those places that you have heard of but every story about it is different. I have heard everything from it being a 300 year old sheriff's cemetery to it being a Native American burial ground.

From what I can tell neither is true. After many years of talking about it I finally "found" it today. Okay, I knew where it was but didn't really know how to access it. In the end it was actually quite easy. When I got there I saw this stone marking it as the "Jonathan Roberts Burial Grounds".


This stone and the few grave markers around it is the only outward signs of the cemetery. I walked behind it however and found this.


And that's not all. There are graves spread throughout and some are in odd places. Here are a few more pics.





As you can see some of these are difficult to read.

Apparently this "Burial Ground" as it is called is the Roberts Family Cemetery as noted in the last paragraph of this very interesting  article at Philly(dot)com. Also check out this Wikipedia entry about Jonathan Roberts

Roberts had a political career spanning more than four decades that started when he served as a member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives, and the Pennsylvania State Senate from 1807 to 1811.

A nice cheerful subject for your Sunday reading enjoyment huh? Cemeteries. Well to me it's all about my local history. A history that helped mold our nation in what is referred to as "The cradle of liberty". 

Thanks for visiting! I hope to have some more posts like this one soon. And be sure to come back later for my Photo Of The Day.

Until next time...

5 comments:

  1. Wow! I have never heard of this. I'd love to go see it and see if I could read any of the tombstones. Every one of them holds the remains of a person who lived, laughed, loved, had thoughts, emotions and was a real person. That is so awesome to me. Who were they? What were they like? What did they look like? All these things go through my head in an old cemetary. Please show it to me someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! That's how I feel. It's like looking at and an old photo, especially a street scene. I try to imagine where the people are going. What their day is like. When you look at a photo from say, 100 years ago, the people were real. They were just like us. they had "places to go and things to do".

      I would be glad to show you the cemetery sometime. It's really easy to get to, now that I know how.

      Delete
  2. Amazing..I never even heard about this cemetery

    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cool. I'd like to see it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be glad to show it to you. There is another similar spot here that I will cover soon.

      Delete