Sunday, December 7, 2014

December 7, 2014 Photo of The Day

Today I would like to share a photo with you that is very special to me. It is also the first picture I am posting on this blog that I did not shoot myself. In fact it was made 26 years before I was born.

Today I am sharing a photo of my Dad from 1944. This is from his graduation of basic training in the United States Navy.


He was one of many thousand young men who were called to serve our nation during World War 2. Dad was stationed in Manila in the Philippine Islands. An 18 year old 8,500 miles from home.

Today we remember the bombing of Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. And I am posting this photo to honor both my Dad and all of the young men who served in our nations military. And let us not forget the sacrifice that all of our men and women made. The one's who worked in factories that supplied the necessities of our troops and the all too many that lost son's, husbands and brothers. Also do not forget the rationing of food, fuel and goods. Today we take most things for granted but imagine going to a food store and not being able to buy a loaf of bread because you did not have a ration stamp. And steak or other meats? Those were a real luxury. I and most people today have never experienced any of this and I am grateful. I just wonder how many would make such sacrifices today.

Before I go let me just say that I write about this today as a remembrance and a hope that we can learn from our past. Most nations that were once our enemies are now our friends and that is a great accomplishment. But one that is based upon the sacrifice of many. And to them I would like to say thank you.

And thank you as always for visiting my blog. Please check back soon.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment