Saturday, January 6, 2018

Welcome To The Saturday View

Hi there friends. It seems that the cold weather wants to hang around for a bit. The temperatures today were once again well below freezing topping out at about 14° F (-10° C). And the wind made it feel even colder. But I am told there is relief on the horizon. Right now though I am a little skeptical.

Today I would like to share another camera (non)review. I don't like to call it a review because I am not really going too in depth. I am just doing a quick overview of some of my second hand finds.

Today we take a look at another Canon Point and Shoot. This one is a little older than last weeks and is naturally a little lower on the technology evolutionary scale. To that end and straight out of 2004 I present the Canon PowerShot A410. A 3.2 Megapixel shooter that had an original MSRP of around $110 that I found at a thrift store for $1.

Click For Full Size Image

Click For Full Size Image

Click For Full Size Image

Click For Full Size Image

Click For Full Size Image

Click For Full Size Image

Click For Full Size Image


Unlike last weeks specimen this camera uses regular AA batteries. It even came with a memory card so all I really needed to do was put in some fresh ones and I was ready to shoot. The only thing that doesn't function properly is the Time and Date. But I discovered that I just need to replace a button cell battery to fix it. Otherwise everything works like new.

As you will see in the samples the A410 does a decent job for what it packs under the hood. You have to remember that though 2004 wasn't that long ago it is almost an eternity for technology like this. So many generations have passed and we are almost spoiled today with image quality and ease of use.

Click For Full Size Image

Click For Full Size Image




Click For Full Size Image

Click For Full Size Image

Click For Full Size Image 

These were all shot using AUTO Mode and have not been touched up or altered in any way. The are available manual modes too. And yes for the most part they look pretty good. But when you zoom in or crop one of them you will see some image noise (graininess). This is something not uncommon when the camera was produced in 2004. At least at it's price point.

My take on the Canon PowerShot A410 is that in it's day it was a great compact Point and Shoot. But unlike the SD600 model I shared last week I wouldn't rely on it as an every day snapshot camera. The image quality is lacking a bit and the controls are too small for me. And the rear screen is tiny. But none-the-less this particular one has found a home in my collection. I just have a thing for older cameras. Especially ones that I can actually use.


And now here is Yesterday's View...

Friday January 5, 2018

And that's all for today. Thanks for stopping by!

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment