Sunday, August 24, 2014

August 24, 2014 - Photo Of The Day

King of Prussia, actually incorporated as Upper Merion Township (there is no town of King of Prussia) is famous nationwide as a retail shopping destination. What many do not know is that it started out over 300 years ago as a farming community. At it's beginnings it was known as Reeseville.

I am not going to get into how it became known as King of Prussia in this post but I will however cover that at a later time.

When I was younger there used to be a fully operating dairy farm known as Nor-View Farms. I remember going there with my parents to get fresh milk. Unfortunately Nor-View suffered that same fate as many farms throughout our country and ceased operations. Another victim to "progress". However, and this is a rare move in these parts, Upper Merion Township purchased the farm land and has kept it open to the public as a park. There is even a small petting farm and an ice cream shop that operates in the warmer months. There is also a plant nursery and an artesian spring water vending area that you bring your own bottles and fill up yourself.

Through all of the changes that have taken place though one thing has remained the same. Today I share this with you as my Photo of the day.

The big chicken at the farm entrance.


For as long as I can remember the chicken has stood out front to greet visitors. It has changed over the years, a victim of age and vandalism but there it still stands. A small symbol of what Upper Merion used to be. A quiet and gentle farming community.

You may have noticed that I have included a few links in my post today. I actually do this a lot. I encourage you to check some of them out, if you are so inclined. The web is full of a lot of information that I could never fully cover myself.

As always, thank you so much for visiting. If you like what you see I ask that you share it with others and always feel free to use the comments section  at the bottom.

Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. neat pic of the chicken, and your write up

    ReplyDelete