Sunday, June 29, 2014

A Tree Grows In Valley Forge

Actually a lot of trees grow in Valley Forge. Some more special than others. And I cannot think of one more special than one referred to as the Valley Forge Witness Tree. Now I am over 40 years old and have lived in the same town my entire life. I have been visiting Valley Forge Park as long as can remember. Even when it was still a State Park and not a National Park. I thought I had seen every square inch of the park. Well I was wrong. I must admit I am actually a little embarrassed. 

The other day I was going through my Facebook Timeline and came across a picture on someones post of a massive tree. A tree estimated to be anywhere from 250 to 260+ years old. Alive and apparently doing very well. This tree was alive during the encampment of George Washington's troops during the American Revolution. Hence the title Witness Tree.

I can only imagine what this old Sycamore has "seen" and all it has survived. Storms alone could have taken it down. How many has it survived in over two centuries? Now I realize that there are trees elsewhere that are much older. But this region has seen an incredible amount of growth. Preservation often takes a back seat. This is very unfortunate reality.

Here is the tree.


It is located at Pawling's Farm. An area of the park that until Saturday morning I have never been to. Within this section of park it is in somewhat of a secluded area. Not as secluded as I have read about but sort of off the beaten path. In addition to that it is in an area that is not open to the public. A fact I did not know until after I spent about a half hour there shooting over one hundred frames. I don't think the Park Rangers would have given me a bad time about being there. I think this is just a precaution to try and keep people away and therefore protecting the tree.

Here are some more photos.





This may give you an idea of just how big this tree is.


Check out the lower branches.


I do plan on returning to try to get some other angles and different lighting. Of course I will be respectful of where I am and only photograph. I certainly hope others who are fortunate enough to find this beauty do the same.

I also shot a short video to try and show the entire tree.



Of course there is more at Pawling's Farm than just the Witness Tree. There is also the ruins of a few of the buildings that were once used there. 

This first one looks to me to be some kind of small factory or a very large barn. 


It has this stone at the top of one side near the roof arch.


The sign reads: Erected by Samual Wetherill 1826, Addition by John P. Wetherill 1845. Solomon Krieble, Carpenter. John Place, Mason".

This sign is on the fence surrounding the building.


Here are a few more pictures of the ruins.






Like I said I will return and do more photographing at a later date. I will also do some more research of the area and post my findings.

As always I thank you for taking your time to read my little blog and I hope you come back.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment