Saturday, April 26, 2014

Random Pics of where I live...



Today I would like to simply share some photos from where I live. Nice and simple right? Right!

I live in the Swedesburg, Pennsylvania. A village in Upper Merion Township that is about 20 miles outside of Philadelphia.




As the sign says Swedesburg was founded in 1712. 64 years before the signing of The Declaration of Independence and almost 302 years old.

One of the oldest structures in Swedesburg is Christ Church. Also referred to as Old Swedes.



Once a Lutheran but now an Episcopalian church, Old Swedes was erected in 1760. The current structure replaced a combination log cabin school and church that was built in 1734. Before 1734 the Swedish colonists that settled here held most of their religious services in private homes.



Just a couple of miles from my home in Swedesburg is one of my favorite places.,Valley Forge National Park. Here are a couple photos I shot there recently.

Replica Cannon. One of many displayed throughout the park.
 
One of many trails.
 
Valley Forge Train Station in foreground. Washington's Headquarters in the background.

In the first two photos is one of the many replica canons that can be found throughout Valley Forge Park and one of the trails of which there is also many. The third photo shows Valley Forge Station which operated between 1911 and the 1950's. It was operated by The Reading Railroad and was once a primary way for visitors from Philadelphia to enter the park. Also shown is Washington's Headquarters which was of course used by General George Washington during the encampment of 1777-1778.

I'm going to wrap up for now but please be sure to check back soon. I will be covering more of Valley Forge and the surrounding area. Thank you for exploring my local history with me. I have a lot more photos to share that I hope you will enjoy.

Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos! You are a true artist with that camera!!
    I am a friend of Kathy's! I will certainly be back to visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the kind words Linda. Please do come back soon. I have a lot in the works:)

      Delete