Monday, April 28, 2014

George Washington slept here...



If you live or have lived where I do you probably heard this at one time or another, Old George must have done a lot of sleeping!

A few Saturdays ago Kim and I were driving through our neighboring town of Norristown as we went about our weekly errands. While at a stoplight Kim pointed at something that I have probably driven by, quite literally, a thousand times. It was this sign on the side of a building.


Okay, it doesn't say George Washington slept here but it does say he camped here. He must have slept some time! Anyway what I am getting at is a point I made in my last post. History is all around us but we don't always see it. Here is where the sign is.


Can you see it? If not here it is.


Easy to miss. Right out there in the open but kind of hidden at the same time. And while I am posting pictures of Norristown here  is one of the Montgomery County Courthouse that is located there.




A few of quick facts before I wrap up for today.

- Norristown is the county seat of Montgomery County, Pennsylvania.

- Norristown was at one time the Nation's largest borough but has been a municipality since 1986.

- Norristown is named after Isaac Norris a member of the colonial Pennsylvania legislature.

- Isaac Norris  ordered the casting of the state house bell that became known as the Liberty Bell.


Well, that's all I have for now. Thanks for reading and please check back soon.

Until next time...


2 comments:

  1. Wow! I've been there a million times too and never saw it either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the reason I've never seen it is because I'm usually in the driver's seat and the sign is on the right.

      Delete