Sunday, April 13, 2014

An Introduction and an Exploration of Analog Photography

 

Hi and welcome to my blog. Welcome to Exploration Photography!

First an introduction for those that don't already know me. My name is Larry Miller and my hobby is photography. I am in my early 40's and live in southeastern Pennsylvania about 20 miles west of Philadelphia and a few miles from historic Valley Forge. I have been married to my beautiful  wife Kim for 10 wonderful years and have a step-son Terry, four cats and a miniature schnauzer.

Being close to Valley Forge will become very obvious as I post here because it is one of my favorite places to photograph. I love it for the vast history it holds in the founding of the United States and also just for it's pure beauty. My interests do not end there though. I like to work with landscapes as well as cityscapes and nature in general. I like most people of this day shoot mostly in digital. I have however recently started a new project. I am going back a bit and playing with analog (film) photography. In fact that is where I am starting today, with my exploration of analog photography. Enjoy!
  
Introducing My 1965 Zeiss Ikon Contessa LBE 35mm Film Camera.



49 years old. 5 years older than me and clean as a whistle! The Contessa LBE is a fully manual, slightly heavy and very well built camera hailing from Germany. The only thing that does not work anymore is the light meter but that is fairly easy to work around.

This camera has a fixed focal length F2.8 50mm lens. Good for general portrait photography and not bad for landscapes. It accepts films with an ISO (speed) rating of 10-800 and a shutter speed range of 1/15 of a second through 1/500th of a second plus Bulb. It's Aperture range is F2.8 through F22.

Enough of the specs though, here are some samples I shot last Sunday at Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania. These were all shot with Fuji 200 Speed Color Print Film, developed and placed directly to disc by a local film processing lab. I post processed each one. I feel they are slightly over exposed but not badly. Let me know what you think. Enjoy!


Main Conservatory - April 6, 2014




One of the many benches along one of the many trails - April 6, 2014

Italian Water garden (still empty from the winter season) - April 6, 2014

Steps leading to trail next to Italian Water Garden - April 6, 2014

Small lake (or large pond?) behind Italian Water Garden - April 6, 2014





Thanks for reading and be sure to stop back!

Until next time...




2 comments:

  1. Nice photos. I like that you are exploring this new venue in your photography. As you get to know the camera better your pictures won't be overexposed.

    One thing, you need to add a follow button to your blog so that people can keep up with your new posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! I just added a "Follow By E-Mail" button.

      All I need to do with the camera exposure issue is measure the scene, via a nice free app for my Galaxy S4, and speed up the shutter by one setting. I suppose all manual cameras had/have there little quirks. Of course it is a 49 year old camera too:)

      Delete