Wednesday, April 16, 2014

My Love of The Sun

Actually what I really love is the sunrise. Here's how it started.

It was October 28, 2010. The first morning of a week I was spending in Ocean City, Maryland with my family. I was up early which is very normal for me and figured I'd enjoy a morning sitting on the patio of the ocean front condo we had rented for the week and watch the sun come up over the Atlantic. Of course I had my camera with me. I almost always have one with me. Anyway, I thought it would be great to take a few shots as the sun rose. I took several but they all pretty much looked like this.

October 28, 2010
Not bad but not really a work of art either. Of course at the time I thought they were great. But hey, it was a start.

Fast forward a couple years to December 31, 2011. Kim and I were out shopping and I saw a new camera I really wanted. Since it was close to my birthday Kim offered to me it for me. Well she didn't have to twist my arm too hard. We left the store with my early gift.


The next morning was of course New Years day and as usual I was up early. I was also anxious to try out my new camera so I took it out on our back deck which happens to have a nice view of the sunrise and took a few shots. This is the best one. Again not a masterpiece but somewhat of an improvement from those shots from a couple years earlier. Well at least the colors are better.

January 1, 2012

To make a long story short I got up the next day and gave it another shot. Then the next day and the next day and so on. What started out as an experiment on January 1st became a week long project and then a month long and before I knew it I had made a personal commitment to making this a year long project. And that is exactly what I did. I got up before sunrise every day of the year and photographed the sunrise. 366 days (Had to pick a leap year). Rain or snow or shine. If the sun wasn't visible I still took the shot in the direction of the sun at the right time. Here are some examples of what I came up with.

June 1, 2012

June 3, 2012 - Cape May, New Jersey





December 3, 2012



I learned a lot that year. I really got to know my camera. I learned, for  the most part, what works and what doesn't. I learned that the photographic equipment is not as important as the talent of the person using it. Though all cameras do have their limits. The biggest lesson I learned though is "practice makes better". Nobody is perfect.

I am no pro but I like to think I am getting better. Here is today's sunrise. Shot with yet another new camera:)

April 16, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. I am new to this and your comments would be appreciated and are always welcome.

If you would like to check out some of my work please take a look here:

Flickr 
500px 
LWMPics 

Be sure to check back soon!




1 comment:

  1. I've always loved your sunrise pictures. Each day is unique.

    ReplyDelete