Saturday, October 15, 2016

Exploration Photography Daily View - October 15, 2016

Hi and welcome to the Daily View!

How about this weather? Is it Autumn or is it Spring? Whichever I am not complaining. I got to spend some quality time out and about today with my camera. Kim and I of course had our regular errands to run but I did squeeze in about an hour to take a walk through Pawling's Farm at Valley Forge. I was hoping to capture some of the changing leaves but for the most part they are still green. I really think nature is just as confused as we are with the weather. But I did get some nice shots and today I would like to share this one with you.


I was on my way to visit the "Witness Tree" that I have shared in some previous posts and I saw these shadows and just had to shoot them. I am so glad that I did. Sometimes the journey is as good as the destination.

On another note I would like to let you know about an issue I have had in the Cafe. Three times in the last six weeks or so I have had a finch get stuck in one of my bird feeders. What happened is when the feeder emptied a bird would try to get that last seed and their head got stuck under the wall. I am happy to say though that all three times we were able to free the bird. Seemingly unharmed. For that I am very thankful. But as the saying goes, three strikes and you're out! The feeder that is. As soon as the last stuck bird was freed today I threw that thing right into the trash. Here is a picture of the offending feeder.


I very quickly replaced it and will be sharing the new one with you tomorrow. It is much safer for the birds and they should not get stuck. And as a positive side effect for the squirrels it is much easier for them to access. 

I hope the lesson I learned from all of this can serve to warn any of you birders out there to make sure the very feeder you put out to help our feathered friends doesn't backfire and harm them. I know I will be very careful going forward.

And now...

Yesterday's View...

Friday October 14, 2016

Thanks for stopping by!

Until next time...

4 comments:

  1. Love today's picture. It looks very Halloween like to me.

    Oh my! Those poor birds. I am so glad you were able to free them. Sometimes they don't understand that we are trying to help them and they lash out at us. I'm glad you got rid of it. Looking forward to seeing the new one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I thought the same thing. Maybe I'll do a black and white version.

      I am so glad for the birds too and the new feeder should be a lot safer.

      Delete
  2. Glad you were able to free the birds! Does the squirrel actually think he'll fit? Or does he just 'tilt' the bowl to get to it? So precious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, me too! He just tilts the feeder and grabs what he can. I've seen him spend an hour or more at it.

      Delete