Saturday, January 3, 2015

January 3, 2015 - Photo Of The Day

Hi there! How is everyone? Good I hope. Today was a busy day for me. It started out early this morning with breakfast at one of my favorite places, Shady Maple Smorgasbord in East Earl, Pennsylvania. It is about 40 minutes from where we live. It is always worth the drive and today it was extra good because my breakfast was free since today is my birthday. So Kim and I both had a very full breakfast for the whopping price of $12.65 and that includes tax and tip. Actually there is no tipping because it is included in the price.

Now I have been to Shady Maple dozens of times over the years. It started when my parents took me there as a kid and now Kim and I visit there every now and then. On our drive there today however, when we were about two or three minutes away from the restaurant we noticed a road on our left that had a covered bridge. Well, on our way back we decided to check it out and this is what we found.


This is located at Poole Forge. Poole Forge was, well a forge run from 1775 to 1795 by a man named James Old who refined pig iron he obtained from local furnaces to be sold to local blacksmiths. This was very important for local industry at the time due to strained relations with Great Britain. It is now an historic tourist park. You can read more about Poole Forge here. All those years of driving right by it and this is the first time I have ever noticed it. I wonder what other neat attractions I can find right under my nose.

I am calling it a day now folks but I have more photos I will be sharing soon. And I will also be sharing a couple snapshots on the Facebook group. Check it out if you get a chance. Thanks for stopping by.

Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this. I love covered bridges too. I am going to have to check it out. Did you actually get to tour the Forge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if the forge is actually still there because it was raining and we didn't check much out. I know that the house and the paymaster's building are still there. It is now used as a community park. There are even benches and hibachis for picnics. They allow dogs too. We will visit again when the weather is nicer.

      Delete